What are the benefits of hormone therapy?
- In a recent Danish study, after 10 years of treatment, women receiving hormone replacement therapy early after menopause had a significantly reduced risk of mortality, heart failure or heart attack, without any apparent increase in risk of cancer or stroke.
- A randomized, controlled clinical trial — the Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS) — exploring estrogen use and heart disease in younger postmenopausal women was recently completed, with results expected soon.
Should consider hormone therapy?
Systemic estrogen is the most effective treatment for menopausal symptoms. The benefits of hormone therapy may outweigh the risks if you’re healthy and:
- Experience moderate to severe hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms
- Have lost bone mass and either can’t tolerate or aren’t benefitting from other treatments
- Stopped having periods before age 40 (premature menopause) or lost normal function of your ovaries before age 40 (premature ovarian insufficiency)
Women who experience an early menopause, particularly those who had their ovaries removed and don’t take estrogen therapy until at least age 45, have a higher risk of:
- Coronary heart disease (CHD)
- Earlier death
- Parkinsonism (Parkinson’s-like symptoms)
- Anxiety or depression
- Sexual function concerns
Early menopause typically lowers the risk of most types of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. For women who reach menopause prematurely, protective benefits of hormone therapy usually outweigh the risks.
Your age, type of menopause and time since menopause play a significant role in the risks associated with hormone therapy. Talk with your doctor about your personal risks.
Contact us for a FREE CONSULTATION to find out more benefits and specific risks of this Hormone Therapy.
We are here to help!
JoyRich Health Care Centers &
BeFree Centers for Addiction
2387 Professional Heights Plaza
Lexington, KY 40503